Due to high flow rates on the Elbow River, the Glenmore Reservoir has dropped its water levels as part of The City’s flood mitigation procedures.
To ensure the safety of all recreational users, the Glenmore Reservoir is closed until further notice.
Please contact 311 for further details.
- Based on current forecast, river levels are anticipated to increase through the remainder of this week.
- A High Stream Flow Advisory was put in place by Alberta Environment for the Bow River and tributaries yesterday.
- Environment Canada issued a Weather Notification for Rainfall Event in Alberta Wednesday, June 19 to Friday, June 21.
Reservoir Closure – All recreational activities on the Glenmore Reservoir are suspended until further notice.
- Please communicate this closure to your teams and to program participants and bookings.
- We will continue to monitor the reservoir and will communicate a reopening to all groups and stakeholders once the reservoir is safe to reopen.
The decision to close the Glenmore Reservoir is based on the following factors:
- Boating Safety – Recreational
- Operational Safety – Glenmore Boat Patrol
- Debris entering the Glenmore Basin
- Water Flow entering the Glenmore Basin
In previous years, the increased water flow has resulted in water Resources immediately dropping in water levels to mitigate the risk of flooding. Closures can be in effect for 5 – 15 days or until flows subside and the reservoir is safe to reopen.
We will keep you inform updated.
Issued by City of Calgary, June 19, 2019.