Calgary Dragon Boat Society
updated: April 23, 2023
The Calgary Dragon Boat Society is excited to announce our upcoming Steering Clinic on June 3rd and 4th. This clinic is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to become a qualified CDBS steers person.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced paddler looking to take your skills to the next level, this clinic is for you. By the end of the weekend, you’ll have the confidence and expertise to steer a dragon boat like a pro!
It’s a great opportunity to improve your skills and become a qualified CDBS steers person.
All steers persons will have the opportunity to become graded and certified. If a new steers person shows promise, they will be eligible to receive their GSL (Graduated Steering License). In early July, these students will be invited back to take a test of their skills and be awarded their steering license, which will allow them to steer in our festival.
Led by Conrad and Layton, this two-day clinic will cover everything from steering techniques to safety procedures. You’ll learn how to navigate the boat, communicate with your team, and ensure the safety of everyone on board.
Steering Clinic Program 2023
Meeting at the Canoe Club Patio Deck in North Glenmore Park.
|June 3 (Sat) |
10:00am – 3:00pm
|Lots of dryland work to understand the in and outs of being a Steers Person. There will be some water time to apply skills|
|June 4 (Sun)|
10:00am – 3:00pm
|Water time for each student, we are giving this a lot of time as we want each new steersperson to have time to work through basic skills.|
|Please note registration will close after May 19th.|
Clinic class is limited to 30 people,
CDBS Requires All Steers persons must
- know the General Dragon Boat Protocols & Safety Guidelines set out by CDBS.
Read General Safety & Steering tips…
- demonstrate they have command of the dragon boat and their team
- demonstrate they can maneuver and line up a dragon boat at the start line in various water conditions
How to be an CDBS Qualified Steers Person?
- Existing steers people will be reviewed and grandfathered in, and they will not need to attend this course or testing.
- Have attended a steering clinic hosted by the CDBS and completed 10 hours of practice steering (confirmed by your team manager)
- Certification Day is July 8th, 2023, to receive their GSL (Graduated Steering License)
Please complete the following form to register for this summer’s upcoming clinics.